For as long as I could remember I have always loved the idea of a blood angel army, however if there is a difficult colour to master when painting I would say it would be red. What colour does it highlight to, what colour does it shade to, how to get a really even, smooth finish but keep that deep red look.
It wasn't until I started using an airbrush that I even contemplated starting a blood angel army for this very reason. Even then my first attempts were far away from what i wanted. Anyway I thought I would have another go after reading the new space marine codex. The rules really pulled me in after completing my Space Wolf army so I had another go at getting "the perfect red".
I tried a lot of test models to get a really good recipe. I also wanted it to work with the current GW paint line as I only had the older colours and didn't want to start a colour scheme that I couldn't expand. This took a while and lots of paints bought that I didn't end up using, however I think I did learn a lot from the attempts.
The final recipe is below. I also got some good tips from the kind people at platoonbritanica on how to get the glowing eyes looking good. A good tutorial for this effect can be found here so another big thanks to Cyril for this tutorial.
I still haven't decided how to base these guys but rest assured it is on the to do list. Its not so much not having time but not deciding what would look best, I have tried plenty of effects so far.
Anyway here are the pics including a line up of my test models. If you would like to see more you can check out the thread I started for this project on here.
Thanks for reading and hope you like these guys. Hopefully a future post will have them on bases and finished :)